The organ of Santanyí, (Majorca)
Façade of the Cadireta
Original Bombarda resonator in the chamber above the vault
Bosch broke with all the traditions when he built this organ and began a completely new field. It was originally a three manual instrument based on a 16´ principal (Flautat) and had as well a 10 rank Corneta, a 25 rank Mixture both with 2.8 meter wind ducts. To our knowledge this is the largest Mixture in the world: 1104 pipes. To ensure an ample wind supply for the Mixture, Bosch installed a double pallet box in the first octave. This had never been attempted anywhere by anyone before in the entire history of organ building, so this was a real first.
The Corneta on the Great Organ, the impressive trumpets and, especially the huge Mixture with its exceptional energetic and bright sound are memorable experiences for anyone who has the chance to hear them. The generous and delicate workmanship evident down to the smallest detail, the Nazards unusual measurements, the wooden Bombarda the extremely thick tin pipes on the wall and the extraordinary workmanship surprise us even today.
The voicing is done in the same spirit: open feet, the especially high and wide mouths that produce such splendid and generous sounds. The principals, flautats, 16´ and 8´ on the Great have unusually wide adjustable expression slots. This is also a novel addition, a first in the history of organ building.
The Government sold off the Churchs property and privatised its goods in a long process that began in 1835. It was during this period that the Gothic style Church Santo Domingo in Palma (Majorca) was demolished. It was said to be one of the most beautiful churches on the Mediterranean. In 1837, its organ was sold to the parish church of San Andrés in Santanyí. The new location, however, had space problems and financial difficulties so, the entire organ could not be mounted in the church. Nevertheless, the unused material was partially stored in the churchs vaults.